Wednesday 25 February 2015

The Lion’s Tunes



At the suggestion of a close friend, I decided to put my love of music to good use.

She pointed out to me that since I love music and listen to so much of it, I should share what songs I’m currently jamming to at the moment.

If you follow me on twitter then quite a few of these suggestions won’t come as much of a surprise as I usually tweet about what music has got me all caught up and catching feelings.

However if people like how this blog post goes then that might come a stop, and The Lion’s Tunes might be a regular blog feature.

I’m by no means a music expert and I won’t pretend to be. Most of what will be written here is information I’ve learned on the net and just my personal opinions on the songs. So have at it...

·        Song: OctaHate
Artist: Ryn Weaver
Album: Promises (EP)

This 21 year old is expected to make it big this year when her debut album drops and it’s understandable once listening to this particular song from Ryn Weaver’s EP. It can best be described in her own words, that of “Fairy Pop”; which she actually used when tagging her music on SoundCloud. After hearing the song, it makes perfect sense. I really like her sound- in some ways she reminds me of a mix between Taylor Swift and Tove Lo.
“OctaHate” is so catchy and after the first few seconds that I heard this song, I knew I was going to like it. I found myself grooving and bopping my head along. I often think that a chorus can make or break a song. The first time I heard “OctaHate”, I was hoping that the chorus wouldn’t disappoint and I was greatly relieved when it delivered.

Additional Mention: Stay Low.

“Stay Low”, also from her Promises EP, especially shows just how fairy pop her sound is. Initially I didn’t think it was anything spectacular but as I was writing this post I thought I would give it another listen. I’m glad I did because it’s such a really great track. There is something about her voice and the song that works. You aren’t just hearing it but listening. I truly recommend purchasing her EP so you can be cool and say “I knew her before everyone else did”.


·         Song: The Whisperer
Artist: David Guetta feat. Sia
Album: Listen

I came across this song through the suggestion of someone on twitter, and when I saw that David Guetta had collaborated with Sia again, I will admit that I was a bit resistant to the song without having heard it. I thought “great, another dance music heavy song”, but my goodness, never have I been so happy to be wrong. “The Whisperer” is an oddity and there is something very special about it. It is completely opposite to their previous collaboration efforts of “She Wolf” and the anthemic “Titanium”.
 The melancholic introduction with the piano sets the tone for the rest of the song and naturally the song does build towards a crescendo moment but this piece of music is not something you dance along to. It is a song you reflect on and feel within your soul.  It makes you feel like you should be in the theatre watching the story of the song plays out before your very eyes. Goosebumps.

Additional Mention: Elastic Heart – Sia & The Weekend

Listen, I get that everyone has been obsessed with Sia’s Elastic Heart and I have been too for the last year.  How can that be since the song only really took off recently? Well I was obsessed with it when the song was a duet with The Weekend. He sings the second verse on it and my goodness did their duet just knock my socks off. He brings a very different male energy to the song and you should really give it a listen.

·         Song: I Can’t Even
Artist: The Neighbourhood ft French Montana

The Neighbourhood, who penned such tunes as “Sweater Weather” and “Afraid”, should be commended on their persistence to experiment with their sound. They found their niche with their visual black and white aesthetic, and you can tell that their particular style managed to translate into their music as well and instead of just delivering the expected the band is still willing to do something different.
Lead singer Jess wrote the song in reference to his girlfriend who cheated on him, and the song works so well for the band. The band released a mixtape last year as they try to find what they like and what they don’t. Mixtapes are great way to explore what they like and what they don’t before recoding their sophomore album.  When I heard that the song featured the talents of rapper French Montana I was a bit apprehensive and I won’t deny that it took me a few times of repeating the song to finally recognise that his verse works very well and actually makes the song better for it. I really enjoy the song and if you like their band’s other stuff this then you will enjoy them pushing themselves.


·         Song: Close Enough
Artist: KStewart

 Not to be confused with the actress (the K actually stands for Kate) but this performer is expected to make big waves in 2015. I refer to this particular song as mellow EDM... It reminds me of 90’s RnB infused with today’s modern electronic dance music, and while one would think that such an unlikely combination would never work, in fact it works amazingly well together. KStewart’s has that 90’s Mariah Carey feel to it but with her own unique sound.

Additional Mention: Speechless

Another song that contributes to the “90s RnB infused with modern EDM beats”; KStewart has to be commended because her sound is not something you hear often (if ever) and I really enjoyed the style of her music. “Speechless” is the song you’d have in the background as you study, entertaining guests or visiting a jazz lounge or even play on a relaxed Sunday evening. It has that feeling to it but still with enough of beat to it that you can groove along to it if you want.

·         Song: King
Artist: Years & Years
Album: Real (EP)

If you loved their smash hit “Desire” then you will definitely like there great follow up single. Their album is about to drop soon and when it does it will only be a matter of time till this group will be the only thing everyone will be speaking of. When “King” starts off it is like the band’s giving a nod to their song “Desire” because of the similarities; but as soon as the beat for “King” drops you know it’s a different track. It has to be said that their follow up single is really great managing to show another side to their music while still building on their previous success. The group’s music has in many instances been referred to as synthpop in reference to the beats within the music. Lead singer Olly Alexander’s voice reminded me of a young Michael Jackson when I heard the song “King”, but the comparison quickly disappeared as I let the song into my life and kept playing it on repeat.

Additional Mention: Breathe

This British group did a cover of Blu Cantrell’s 2003 hit and boy do these boys amaze. It is such a great cover but so different and they reinterpret the song in their own way. I love it. Give it a listen. Also their other song “Real” (which I have yet to hear) also has the internet a flutter so give it a look.


Extra: Songs on the radio that I’m currently obsessed with –

Calvin Harris ft Haim- Pray To God.
David Guetta ft Emeli Sandé – What I Did For Love.
Jimmy Nevis – 7764

All tracks are available on iTunes. I think.

Theo. Over and Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts...Just don't be hateful.