Thursday 28 April 2016

Some days I want to resign from being gay


I struggle with the gay thing.

For the most part everything is fine, but then I find myself in a depressive slump because I can’t even deal with it.

I came from a pretty religious background and the indoctrination of “being gay will lead to hell” certainly pulled number on me – not helped by the fact that it is still widely preached about.

I even had like a 4 week counselling stint once upon a moon to help me with making the transition manageable and it helped but...still the same ghost is keeping me awake.

The thing that also kills off more pieces of my soul is that people would believe that I would “choose” to be gay.

Yes, I chose to be different because I was so bored that I thought – “Mmm, let’s be gay”.

I chose to put myself in a position where people bash on me for my “lifestyle”.

I chose to get that disappointing look from my mother whenever she remembers that her son is gay.

I chose to make things very difficult for myself because it was what I wanted.

Yes, I chose to feel like this.

-Sigh-  

It’s this constant othering that you have to put up with and even with the most liberal of people you can still feel at odd. You become the “gay” person, and lose your individual identity.

When people are talking about romances, it becomes this “thing” when in an ideal situation it wouldn’t be a thing. It’s this constant source of distress at times because once people latch on it then it in many ways can become their main identifier for you.

I often find myself in that “is there a switch” or the “can I just give back the gay gene” state of mind because I am just fed up with all the alienation that comes with it.

I even entertain the idea of dating a girl, which wouldn’t be a bad idea, except for the fact that I would be in a relationship with someone I don’t truly love and then also putting a lovely woman into a loveless marriage – which would not be fair because everyone deserves better than that.

I’ve heard the whole “it gets better” speech and while I don’t always find myself believing it, I still preach it because there are so many others who kill themselves just for being different. So many great young and beautiful minds are lost because of something that cannot be changed.

Others then have said, “you need to make more gay friends” and while that may be true, I still feel like a odd man out there because then it is my neurotic personality that puts me in contrast.

Things are never A + B = C.

It is rather a process of why does the “A” feel like a “A”? How did the “A” get to the point where he it felt comfortable with being “A” and who said you can add “B” to get “C”? And, what does “C” mean?

Things that can seem simple to people, are not so simple for others.

I don’t try to be difficult or feel the way I do, it is just that I feel an overwhelming amount.

Maybe it is the: Growing up as a sensitive kid + the wanting do my best + the single parent mom wanting to provide + daddy issues + the angst that came with needing to be there when things fell apart + the gay thing and all its drama = A functioning neurotic gay mess.

Being gay just happens to be the thing exhausting me today.

Hopefully there will be a time in my life when I won’t feel like it is but until that day I can just do the best that I can and soldier on.


Theo. Over and Out.



PS: I feel like I need to honestly consider therapy/counselling. I have been thinking about it over the past few months, but it seems like it wouldn’t be the worst thing ever.

6 comments:

  1. I have been in a similar head space as you lately... so basically you are not alone, and your blog made me feel less alone, so thank you.
    I really hope it gets better for us sooner rather than later, that would be nice.

    Thank you , and you have a wonderful way of writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been so busy. I only saw this now. Thanks for the comment. I appreciate it. It's nice knowing people can relate.

      Delete
    2. I've been so busy. I only saw this now. Thanks for the comment. I appreciate it. It's nice knowing people can relate.

      Delete
  2. I completely relate to this article. Although I am in a solid relationship with my partner for five years, I find that growing up Catholic and attending Catholic school the indoctrination still runs deep.
    I am proud of who I am as a person and I fully realize that who I am is NOT a choice. I was born this way. However Catholicism so mind fucked me that even today at 52 years old I still struggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so insightful.Thanks for taking the time to comment

      Delete
    2. This is so insightful.Thanks for taking the time to comment

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts...Just don't be hateful.